Monday, January 25, 2016

Blog #1


Computers are becoming an essential tool for the 2lst century. It is important for teachers to learn how to use computers and technology for their classroom because they will most likely use them in their classrooms. Teachers can do a lot of activities including interactive group work or assignments such as a class blog. Teachers can also use computers for class newsletters and announcements. Although computers bring a lot of creativity and interactive learning, it takes away some things such as actually writing things versus typing. Kids get more distracted with technology and it can interfere with their people skills.

The student standard about communication and collaboration is interesting to me because kids in the classrooms today are expanding their knowledge through different forms of media. It is not just the standard pencil and paper. This standard also mentioned that students will be able to learn about other cultures and gain a global perspective. The teacher standard that seems out of my skill set would be the one about designing and developing digital age learning experiences. I am good at technology but not great so I have to learn more about the newer technology before I can really teach and engage my students in technology based learning activities. I do not know how to design learning activates for certain student’s needs technology wise.

Digital native is a term used to describe a person who has grown up with technology around them. Yes, a lot of the older teachers I have had in the past did struggle with using technology especially when it came to projectors (which I do not think I even know how to work to be honest). But I have had a lot of teachers that have been good at technology. The teachers that had trouble with computers, we would help them which would just give us a better assessment of what we knew. Like my mom for example is not so tech savvy, but helping her has helped me. My future students will most likely know more and be way more tech savvy. They will have grown up in the era when the average elementary student has an iPhone. They probably will know more than me which then I will have to learn to adapt.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that kids get more distracted by technology and it can interfere with their people skills. Kids seem to be getting a hold of technology earlier in life (both inside and outside the classroom). I've seen elementary schoolers with smart phones and they've seemed to be more focused on their phones than on what's going on around them. I didn't have a phone until 7th grade and because of that I was able to spend more time interacting with other people my age in person and build better relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the standard has expanded the way children gain knowledge. Media has allowed students to interact with different styles of learning than just copying notes on a piece of paper. I also agree that I am not the best when it comes to technology so the standard about designing and developing digital age learning experiences will be a bit of a challenge at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that just copying notes on a piece of paper is a thing of the past. Using a computer to take notes is the new tool students use. I think its great! Notes look more organized!

    ReplyDelete