Monday, February 15, 2016

Blog #4


The science standard for 2nd grade I chose is SC.2.P.8.2  which is to identify objects and materials as solid, liquid, or gas. It can be found at http://www.cpalms.org/Public/PreviewStandard/Preview/1611. The classification tool to remember this standard would be a properties concept map. I could put how to identify objects in the middle bubble and then have the branches of solid, liquid, and gas in smaller bubbles. Branching from those three would be their properties that make them identifiable as that.  

I have had some teachers in the past who were really strict on how credible our sources were such as not using Wikipedia. But I have also had teachers who would accept Wikipedia. I was told in the past that if the author could not be found or if the website ended in .com it probably was not reliable enough. According to the podcast, open content is anything available for modification, use and redistribution. This is not the most reliable way of receiving information because anyone can edit it. Wikipedia falls underneath this category and is not so reliable.

With the web hunt, I learned how to use google scholar and google advanced video search. I also learned how to only search key words to get results on the content you are looking for. I had a hard time figuring out which standards went with what I was finding though. I also had trouble picking the right website to take my information from since there were so many. I do not think I found the most reliable/credible sites that I could have.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you chose a Science standard for 2nd grade. I also enjoy science classes and think that I would like teaching science in elementary school. Great job on your blog post!

    ReplyDelete